Monday, January 18, 2010

"I had a dream"

So since today was Martin Luther King Jr’s Birthday, I thought that it would only be necessary to talk about the incredible things he has done for our nation. I was looking up songs that have been written about him and remembered a certain song from a movie that I had seen recently. The song “I had a dream” by Common. This song was played in the movie “Freedom Writers.” I loved this movie and found it very inspiring. The lyrics in this song are so powerful and meaningful. These particular lyrics really stood out to me:

The world's seen me lookin' in the mirror, Images of me, gettin' much clearer, 
Dear Self, I wrote a letter just to better my soul, 
If I don't express it then forever I'll hold, inside 
I'm from a side where we out of control, 
Rap music in the 'hood played a fatherly role, 
My story's like yours, yo it gotta be told, 
Tryna make it from a gangsta to a godlier role,.”

I believe that there is so much said in these few lines. The last two lines stand out to me the most. I believe that it explains how everyone has a story to be told and we need to have the courage to go out into the world and tell it. This is what Martin Luther King Jr did, and because of his bravery, we are now a diverse country full of people who are willing to go out and spread their word.

 

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen that movie, and I've never heard that song, but those lyrics express so much in such few lines. I"m sure every one feels this way, they want a better life, and to be able to find a way to tell their story, because no one has the same story, so no one can understand some one else. But first, to have a better life, they have to look in a mirror. Those lyrics are very powerful

    ReplyDelete