Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Issue of Capital Punishment


In class we have been discussing the horrible act of lynching. This relates to the issue of capital punishment that we are dealing with in our society today. Capital Punishment is an issue that I feel very strongly about. We always hear about how if somebody commits a crime, they should be killed. Well, I completely disagree with this. How is this teaching the person who committed the crime any better? Yes, what the criminal did is absolutely horrible, but why do to them what they have done? How is this helping our society? Last month I was watching the news with my parents in my hometown of Covington. They announced that a man would be killed the next day for a crime he had committed a couple of years ago. Although I hated to hear that he had murdered his daughter, is killing him in return any better? I couldn't believe that this was still being done in the 21st century. I hope that one day in our near future the act of capital punishment will be illegal. I think this will help our society change for the better. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. If killing is wrong-killing is wrong. If we as a state are allowed to go against this dictate, then we have show that killing isn't wrong. (Granted there is self -defense, but that is an issue separate and different from premeditated murder.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to see the amount of executions decrease durastically in the past decade but I think that we should still get rid of it all together. Sadam's execution made a statement that i think we could have changed.

    ReplyDelete