Monday, April 12, 2010

"Treme"


Last night was the premiere of HBO's new hit series, "Treme." David Simon and Eric Overmyer created this drama to give an insight on what life was like for New Orleanians after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. The show is set three months after the hurricane, and follows a group of people whose lives have been turned around after the horrible storm. I was very excited to see the show's premiere and have to say that I am very pleased with how it turned out. Critics have been raving about it and say that it will turn into a huge hit! There was a point in the show that really hit home for me. They showed one character walking into his house for the first time since the storm. Everything was completely destroyed and it looked like a war zone. I can remember seeing my home, and other family and friend's homes after the storm and seeing exactly what this character saw in the show. All I could think about was how many other people watching the show were feeling such real emotions, remembering when they saw their destroyed homes for the first time after the storm.
A very interesting part of the show was how they showed New Orleans's musical culture. They showed, and plan to show in future episodes a great deal of New Orleans musicians, including Kermit Ruffins and Trombone Shorty. The premiere opened with showing the first second-line since the storm, which was led by the Rebirth Brass Band. There was also alot of jazz and blues played throughout the show.
If you missed the show, I really recommend watching it next week. It's full of creative writing and is really a treat to watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWKSHbdwrQo

2 comments:

  1. Hi Charlotte,

    I didn't see another way to contact you but I wanted to let you know I linked to your post about "Treme" in my own review for BlogHer. I thought you made some great points about the show.

    http://www.blogher.com/ghost-katrina-haunts-hbos-treme

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This show is great. I love the producer of it, very well constructed and fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete